Brassington derives its name from Brandsige Farm

 

HISTORY

 

Brassington derives its name from Brandsige Farm, meaning ‘the farm by steep path’. Many of the older houses and cottages are called by the names of former or present occupants. Brassington stood at the end of the turnpike road from London via Derby (further north good lanes were built on the limestone) and it is therefore not surprising that Brassington had six inns at one time, though now there are only two. The his-tory of the old lead mining village of Carsington goes back to the Romans, who introduced the blue and yellow pansy known as heartsease. Today it is a dormitory village with many pleasant stone houses and the added attraction of Carsington Water.

 

2338648_ce2e7173

AROUND THE COUNTY

 

The Derbyshire Agricultural and Horticultural Society was founded in 1860 and for the next 60 years – except for 1881, 1906 and 1921 when the Royal Show was held in the county – their annual show venue varied between the Derby Cattle Market and Osmaston Park (now the Ascot Drive Industrial Estate).

 

The show then moved to various other sites until the 1960s when it was held at Elvaston Country Park moving on to Spondon and Wingfield Park. It is now settled again at Elvaston Country Park and takes place this year on Sunday 14th May.If you want to learn something about Belgium check this compare bruges hotels website.

 

New items this year will be hedging, stonewalling, bale wrapping, a farrier and a steam engine driving many older farm machines. There will also be the usual items: cattle; sheep; goats; shire horses; show jumping; ponies; horticulture; floral art; dogs; food hall; craft tent; W.I. and lots of trade stands and stalls.

images (9)

The main ring attractions will continue throughout the day includ-ing an appearance of Katie Cropper of One Man and her Dog’ fame who will be bringing her sheep, ducks, dog and horse Eric. Also appearing will be Moto Equestrian, a combination of motorcyles and horses.

 

All of this will be very different from the first Show held on Friday, 13th September, 1861, which was classed as an ‘Annual Exhibition of Stock, Cheese, Poultry and Implements’. There were 40 classes cover-ing cattle, horses for agricultural purposes, sheep, pigs, poultry, ducks, geese, roots, cabbage and cheeses.

 

CHURCH OPEN DAY

 

All Saints’, Church at Mackworth, Derby, will be open on Easter Sunday and Monday, 16th and 17th April, 1995, learn more here. Cream teas will be served from 2pm – 5pm and there will be a sale of jams, tea towels etc as well as a craft fair in the church hall. Rosemary Lucas’s new book ‘The Manor of Markeaton, Mackworth and Allestree 1650-1851′. This well presented book looks at real named people who lived in these villages over 300 years ago and discusses their homes and possessions and how they fared under the old medieval open field system of farming. A donation will be made to All Saints’, Mackworth, for each copy sold through the church.